Fortunately, the Disney Company has developed the Disney Mobile Magic app, which available in the Google Play Store for Androids as well as the Apple App Store for iPhones. It's free and was launched in 2010.
On start up, the app immediately tries to find your phone via GPS to pinpoint your location, but it's not necessary to use it; it'll just turn off any location-based features. If GPS can't find you, you're able to pick between Walt Disney World (the resort in Orlando, Flordia) or Disneyland (the resort in Anaheim, California). Because I'm more familiar with Walt Disney World, I'll be describing what will be displayed on the screen for that resort only.
Upon choosing Walt Disney World with GPS off, a list prompts "Walt Disney World has a lot to offer. What would you like to explore?" and includes a list of the parks and several resorts.
- Magic Kingdom
- Disney's Hollywood Studios
- Disney's Animal Kingdom
- Typhoon Lagoon
- Blizzard Beach
- Downtown Disney
- ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex
- Disney Resorts
Maps are marked with Stars for locations of interest showing times they're open and upon clicking them, you can view that location's schedule, its description, handicap/hearing accessibility, how to get there, mark it as a favorite, or set a reminder for that place.
For parks, there's a list consiting of:
- Guide Map
- Attractions - Shows wait times for rides/FastPass availability
- Characters - Where/When characters are available
- Dining - Where to eat/Make reservations/View Dining options
- Today's Events
- Games - Try a Disney Park trivia game!
- My Favorites - Your list of favorite locations
- Transportation - Information on travel by monorail, ferries, or ground transportation
- Shopping - Where to shop and when shops are open
- Guest Services - Find locations of Guest Relations, Bathrooms, First Aid, Baby Care, ATMs, Smoking Areas, Automatic External Defibrillators, Picture Spots, and Disney Vacation Club Information Centers
- Guide Map
- Recreation - Locate activities found on the resort
- Dining - Find restaurants and book reservations
- Transportation - Monorail/Bus/Ferry information
- Games - Disney Trivia again!
- My Favorites - List of your favorite spots
- Shopping - Where gift shops are and when they're open
- Guest Services - Information on Resort Benefits & Info, Restroom locations, ATM Locations, Smoking Area locations, AED locations, and Disney Vacation Club Infromation Center locations
As a former Character Attendant, ALWAYS double check on character times with Character Attendant Cast Members for accurate times/when to return. I had a lot of angry Guests come up to me with the excuse of, "But the app said they'd be out till XX PM!" Yes, the character is out that long, but sometimes their lines will close before then, because we have to determine how many people they can see so they actually LEAVE at that time.
CAST MEMBERS CAN BE YOUR BEST FRIENDS, SO DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK US QUESTIONS. If we can't find the answer, we'll try our best to find through another person. We want you to enjoy your vacation and YES we do know how much money you probably spent on this trip. Most of the things we warn you about are for not only Cast Member Safety, but your safety as well.