BRAINSTORMING (at least 20 ideas)
What to do while waiting in line:
- Check email/twitter/facebook/skype/tumblr/other social networks/etc. on smartphone/tablet device
- Talk to the person next to you in line, whether it's your friend or a stranger (make a new friend!)
- Play a game on portable gaming device/smartphone
- Listen to music
- Play I Spy with friend/new found friend
- Call a relative/friend you haven't talked to in a while
- Look up at the clouds and find shapes?
- Listen to music
- Crack knuckles/joints?
- Sing to yourself?
- Keep hydrated?
- Have your friend (not a new one) get a snack/drink for you to share
- Like Disney/Universal Studios, enable a FastPass/Express Lane ticket system to get before waiting in line, then spend that time that could have been standing in line doing other things THEN go when that ticket says you can.
- Look up random articles on Wikipedia. Learn things?
- Read a book/newspaper/magazine/graphic novel - whether in print/online
- Watch a movie on mobile device
- Watch random funny videos from youtube
- Secretly pick your nose (?????????)
- Play a word game via association.
One of my favorites has to be the last one that I just recalled because I spent the day at my cousin's house (since it was the Superbowl/one of my cousin's birthday). Back in 6th/7th grade, I came up with a word association game called Pizza (because it was always the first word
to be used for some reason) and we did use it to kill time. Between 2 or more people, start with "pizza" and take turns coming up with the next word which can either start with the same letter or being something related to it; try not to repeat words and limit yourself to 1 or 2 words at a time.
My second favorite is a combo of looking up random facts/wikipedia articles since I used to tweet a random fact a day on my twitter account (when I was a very avid twitter user). Just generate random articles/facts at a push of a button.
I decided to slim it down some more and make it date specific instead of just pulling random facts.
OUT IN THE FIELD & FEEDBACK:
Since I was super busy this whole week, I didn't have time to plan this out until Sunday, but I'll bring these Prototyping ideas to school on Monday and try them out with some friends. Pictures and feedback will be included in a new blog post called Curing the Queue: Part Two - Executing.